English for Life – ‘Confidence for Life’
International House Durham Young Learners course offers engaging English lessons tailored for young learners, alongside an exciting social programme of trips and excursions. International House Durham Holiday centre has teamed up with Durham school, a traditional British boarding school with a modern international community that offers full-board residential accommodation and facilities. The school is only a 10 minute walk into the beautiful city of Durham.
Please click here to view the video
Durham is home to one of the most recognisable landmarks in the UK, majestic Durham Cathedral. Together with Durham Castle, this UNESCO World Heritage Site forms one of the most stunning city panoramas in Europe. Durham, is less than 3 hours from London, 2 hours from Edinburgh and 12 minutes by train from Newcastle!
Classes take place on campus and everything is securely on-site. The courses are communicative and skills based, so the students get plenty of practice in real life English. The theme for the course is ‘English for Life – Confidence for Life’ and every student will be encouraged to build their confidence by communicating in English. Children and teenagers acquire language more effectively when their focus is not on the language they are learning, but on the activity they are participating in. Language required for the activities is often functional and communicative and this is reflected in the syllabus created especially for the summer programme. Students will work in groups on projects designed around their stay in Durham and the educational excursions they will be involved in. Students will be able to develop their skills during some exciting and educational social activities to match their talents and interests.
See a sample timetable - click here
Spring: 5 April - 19 April 2020
Summer: 6 July - 2 August 2020
* (alternative arrival dates may be possible - please contact us)
All-inclusive fees - £795 per week
Key Features included:
- 15 hours tuition per week
10 hours educational activities
Safe and secure onsite accommodation
Full-board - All meals in the medieval dining room
Excursions - 2 full days per week
24 hour supervision by trained safeguarding staff
End of course progress certificate
Full travel and medical insurance.
International House Durham Young Learners course offers interesting and motivating English classes each morning plus an exciting programme of educational, language focused activities each afternoon.
This course is designed to:
- Improve speaking skills in English
- Develop better listening skills
- Enhance vocabulary
- Build confidence by working in groups and making presentations
Social activities & Excursions:
- Edinburgh – The capital city of Scotland. Enjoy the famous castle and even see where J.K.Rowling was inspired to write the novels and create Hogwarts!
- York – An amazing, historical city with medieval streets and world famous Minster. Experience Viking history in the famous Jorvik Centre and even get dressed up as one!
- The Lake District National Park – Home to Beatrix Potter, William Wordsworth and many other famous writers and authors. Experience this magical region and enjoy a boat trip on Lake Derwentwater.
- The ‘Kingdom’ of Northumbria – This region has more castles than any other area of the UK. Come fly with us on a visit to Alnwick Castle, gardens and visit the biggest tree house in the world! The location of the first few Harry Potter movies and a brilliant place to try out broomstick practice! Also, visit the magnificent Bamburgh Castle and beach, the location of many Hollywood movies as well as the series ‘Vikings’!
Contact us for more information